The Pursuit of Enhancement Podcast Episode 6
Welcome to Episode 6 of The Pursuit of Enhancement Podcast.
My name is Peter Ledwidge and I am your host.
Each week I sit down to talk in-depth with guests that push the boundaries of conventional living, driven by the singular pursuit of being on an unrelenting quest to continually expand the horizons of their body, mind and spirit.
The aim is to learn more about them and from them; their story, the work they are doing, the highs, the lows, the triumphs, the heartaches and everything in between.
The hope is that these conversations might spark something within you that gives you cause for self-reflection, inspires you to embark on your own journey of self-discovery or gives you the courage to take a chance and go after your goals.
This week I’m joined by Passionate social change campaigner, public speaker, fight coach and personal trainer, Richie Hardcore.
Richie is a Muay Thai & Boxing Trainer, Public Speaker, Educator and MC. He formerly worked in Drug & Alcohol harm reduction, & now works, campaigns and educates to stop domestic and sexual violence as well as promoting broader social change. As a self-confessed ‘pragmatic idealist’, Richie channels his energy into doing his best to leave the world a slightly better, healthier and happier place than how he found it.
Social Change Activist
While no stranger to heartache and hurt, Richie believes with the right support and attitude, that a positive life is possible through any hardship. With a loyal and growing social media presence, Richie uses this platform to actively promote awareness and activism and engage in topical conversation.
For Richie and countless others around the world, fight sports provide a healthy outlet for the hardship and frustrations that life has to offer. Richie’s fighting career spans more than 20 years from martial arts tournaments to Muay Thai titles. Now he’s hung up the gloves, he fights for social change rather than titles and trophies.
This Week’s Episode
In this week’s episode we talk about Richie’s own journey, growing up in a household where alcoholism and violence were a common theme, being introduced to muay thai at a young age, his days in the hardcore music scene, how he now channels all those experiences in order to have real discussions around real issues and how we can counteract those same issues.
Some of these issues include
- Understanding addiction and abuse of substances
- Mental health issues
- Sexual consent and the pyramid of rape culture
- Violence and degrading behaviour towards women
- How men need to challenge these poor behaviours that are perpetuated in our society, that we must play a role in stopping these situations, and strategies to achieve it
We also talk about
- How fighting saved his life – his introduction to muay thai and how a life time of discipline, emotional resilience, and structure helped him to not fall victim to all the negative situations around him.
- Sport as a teacher of transferable life skills
- Mental health issues; lack of connection and over reliance on smart devices driving increase in prescription of drugs as coping mechanisms and reducing social connection.
- Should schools have a part to play in educating children about these or is it up to external speakers
- As mentioned before, His work in relation to sexual consent and changing poor cultural ideas in relation to consent and encouraging a return to values such as mutuality, kindness, and role modelling of what proper consent means.
We finish by talking about his new relationship and get into conscious relationships, the importance of self-reflection, being intentional, communication, and understanding yourself better for the enhancement of your relationship
Warning to listeners
Some of the events that Richie recalls may be confronting to some listeners but need to be heard because it is a reflection of what is actually going on in many situations.
Connect with Richie
Via his website http://richiehardcore.co.nz/
End of Episode 6
So that’s it for episode 6 I hope you got something out of it.
As ever let me know in the comments your thoughts and take aways.
I am so so grateful to everyone that tuned in today. There and so many things you could be doing with your time so that fact that you choose to give it to me is such an honour. Thank you.
Be sure to follow or subscribe to your favourite source so you can keep up to date with future episodes, share it with your friends in person or on social media.
If you’d like to support the show you can do so on PATREON.
I’m Peter Ledwidge, this is the Pursuit of Enhancement podcast and I will catch you next week for episode 7.
In the mean time remember to
And smile often.
If you want to connect with me further you can find me on twitter, facebook and instagram via the icon links below.